The University of Toronto Libraries is now a participant in the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service (ETAS). This means that during the U of T library closure due to COVID-19, current students, faculty and staff can read digitized versions of more than 3 million of the library’s in-copyright print books that have been deposited in the HathiTrust Digital Library.
1) To access the collection, you must first click on the yellow LOG IN button, and find and select the University of Toronto from the drop-down menu:
After clicking CONTINUE you will be redirected and asked to log in using your UTORid and password.
2) It is important to log in before you begin your search. If you search for books available under the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service (ETAS) before you log in you must deselect ‘Full view only’, which is the default search option, otherwise in-copyright titles will not appear in your search results:
3) In your search results, look for items labelled ‘Temporary Access’. Clicking on this link will direct you to the checkout screen.
4) To view an item, click on CHECK OUT:
Note: The HathiTrust ETAS allows students, faculty and staff to view all books, mostly published before 2004, that it has verified as being held in the UTL print collection, even if in-copyright. For each copy of the work in our collection, one simultaneous checkout will be allowed.
5) The book will be viewable on the reader online. Single page downloads are available, but books cannot be downloaded in full. UPDATE: As of May 28th, 2020 all ETAS library users no longer have the option to download single pages while using a temporary access title.
6) At the top of the screen there should be a notice of when the item is due back. You can check out a book for 1 hour. Your access will renew automatically at the end of that hour, unless another user requests the book after that hour is over. When finished please return the book by clicking on ‘Return Early’:
To learn more about the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service (ETAS), see here: https://onesearch.library.utoronto.ca/linkit/hathi-trust-etas