Visitors may obtain a free one-day pass for use at designated Library & Internet Resource Account (LIRA) workstations.
The LIRA computers are reserved for academic research only. Email, chat, games, gambling, programming and recreational Internet searching are not permitted. Patrons are requested to restrict use to 30 minutes. To use the LIRA workstations, you must have a UTORid or create a LIRA account.
To create a LIRA account, you must use a LIRA kiosk to generate a temporary username and password. In order to use the kiosk you need one of the following pieces of ID:
- a UofT Library or TCard, or a Canadian or US driver's licence
- a credit card (VISA, MasterCard or American Express) except for pre-paid, gift cards or any card without identity information
- a Canadian or US driver's license
The LIRA kiosks are in the following locations:
- Robarts Library – on the first floor next to the main elevators
- Gerstein Science Information Centre – inside the main entrance by the glass doors
- Mathematical Sciences Library – near the circulation desk
- Noranda Earth Sciences Library – patrons must inquire at the front desk for computer access
- The Engineering & Computer sciences Library – south end of the circulation desk
If you are concerned about your privacy, please read the section below.
Your personal information is used only as needed for the proper administration of your LIRA account and related purposes. It is protected in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
If you use a credit card, only the first six and last three digits of your credit card number are collected (to identify the card issuer and account number, respectively). If you use a TCard, we collect only your name, student/staff number and library number.
Any questions or concerns can be directed to the Help Desk Manager at 416-978-5071 or Room 1105, Information Commons, Robarts Library.