As of October 15, 2020, the University will implement changes to enhance security of Microsoft 365 users. TLS 1.0 and 1.1 will no longer be supported and the University of Toronto’s information technology teams will be working towards disabling them. Microsoft will only offer support for TLS 1.2.
This may cause issues when attempting to connect to Office 365 from certain devices/apps. The following are some common clients that will not work after the change:
- Android 4.3 and earlier versions
- Firefox version 5.0 and earlier versions
- Internet Explorer 8-10 on Windows 7 and earlier versions (Note: Windows 7 will work with TLS 1.2 but will require a registry fix. See more details below.)
- Internet Explorer 10 on Win Phone 8.0
- Safari 6.0.4/OS X10.8.4 and earlier versions
To ensure a smooth transition, we recommend you update your devices and apps.
Windows 7 Registry Fix
If you access Microsoft 365 through your personal computer running Windows 7, see this Microsoft article on how to apply the Windows 7 Registry fix.
If you are on a U of T managed Windows 7 machine, contact your Local IT support to assist with the registry fix.