If your computer contains confidential information you are required by University of Toronto policy to encrypt your hard drive.
What constitutes confidential information?
- Personally identifiable information such as student numbers or email address lists
- Student or employee records
- Financial information
If your computer contains this kind of data, you are required by University policy to encrypt its hard drive.
How to encrypt your computer
Full-Disk Encryption options:
Other encryption options:
- Encrypt USB drives on MacOS or using BitLocker
- Buy encrypted USB drives: available from office supply retailers such as Staples and Grand & Toy
- Encrypt files on MacOS
- Encrypt files using commercial programs: