Effective file management of your data can play a key role in the success of your project. Organizing your files with a consistent system and file naming structure can make your data easier to understand, share and preserve.
Some tips for naming your files:
- Avoid special characters and spaces
- Use capitals and underscores or compound words “CamelCase”
- Use no more than 32 characters, preferably much less.
- Use date format: YYYYMMDD (ISO 8601)
- Use meaningful names
- Include versioning information
Case Study: Exemplar of a Good File Naming System (Source: library.stanford.edu)