Data preservation is an activity within archiving that ensures the access to, and use of enduring data sets – this includes making sure data sets can be understood through changes in technology.
(Source: The CASRAI Dictionary. Available at: http://dictionary.casrai.org/Preservation)
How do I select data for preservation?
The following offers guidance on what data should be preserved,
- Data that directly supports published research
- Data that must be shared as outlined by funder requirements
- Vulnerable data
- Data with historical significance
Where do I preserve data?
You can use one of the following options to deposit your data:
- Dataverse: A repository supported by the University of Toronto Libraries
- re3data.org: A global domain-specific registry of research data repositories that covers different academic disciplines
See our Data Repositories page.