Data security can protect confidential information as well as your intellectual property rights or commercial interests. The security of the physical location, the network and any computer system needs to be considered to protect your data from unintended destruction or loss, as well as from unauthorized access, modification or use. This is especially important when working with confidential or sensitive data.
Security measures can include:
- Controlling access to rooms where data is held
- Firewall, antivirus, password and encryption protection
- Not storing confidential data on computers connected to external networks
- Implementing controlled access to data files, such as no access, read only, or permission based reading/editing capabilities
- File transfer protocols, such as using encrypted transmission instead of email
- Data destruction plans