Library Council, University of Toronto Libraries
So Near and Yet So Far: Reaching out to the Patron at a Distance
Summary of Recommendations
The Task Force on Services at a Distance recommends that the University of Toronto Libraries:
- Adopt a policy of support for users at a distance as part of the mandate for all Library departments.
- Provide support in the form of reference services, delivery of materials, and technical assistance.
- Promote awareness and implementation of new relevant technologies.
- Support distance education as it develops at the University of Toronto.
- Develop internal and external partnerships as a means of increasing library support for services at a distance.
- Investigate new staffing models for an expanded service.
- Establish a Committee on Services at a Distance as a standing committee reporting to Library Council.
- Establish the position of Coordinator of Services at a Distance.
- Seek funding for the implementation and support of the services.
Back to: Library Council Home
[ Report Table of Contents ]