Skip to main content

Do I need a licence to show a movie at an on-campus movie night for students and charge an admission fee?

Yes. Even if the audience is limited to students of the University, the event is being held for recreational purposes, not for education or training, and a licence is therefore required. Charging an admission fee may also mean that the use is “for profit” or with a “motive of gain”, a further bar to relying on the educational exceptions in the Copyright Act – especially if the total fees received are greater than the costs (including overhead) of the holding event.

See other FAQs about: 

Can't find what you're looking for?  Contact us.