To find an item in a library, you need to know:
- If the item is available. If it is, the item record will say Available.
- Which U of T library the item is in
- The location of the item within the library. Each library is organized differently, so ask a library staff member to direct you to the right location within the library. Common locations include:
- Stacks: the library’s main book shelves
- Course Reserves: high-demand course readings that have short term loan periods, e.g. 3 hours
- Reference: encyclopedias, dictionaries and other materials that must remain in the library
- The call number. This is like the address of the book on the shelf.