You can access the Robarts Library book stacks with a valid University of Toronto TCard or library card. If you don't have one of these, you can purchase stack access if you're eligible or ask us to retrieve items from the stacks for you.
The elevators on the first floor (P1-P3) will take you to the stacks during open hours. The stacks are closed during Robarts' extended hours.
Find a book in the stacks
Once you’ve found a book in the library catalogue that is in Robarts stacks, look at the first letter(s) of the call number to know which floor to go to. Once you get to that floor, look at the ends of the shelf rows to find the section that has your book.
More about finding books in the stacks
Computers and wifi
Connect to the "UofT" wireless network with your UTORid on your laptop or mobile device.
Not a U of T student, staff, or faculty member?
- Anyone with stack access can use our LIRA workstations
- Current direct borrowers can log in to any computer in the stacks with
- Username: $ then the library number printed on your card (ex. $29184749)
- Your library PIN number
- Visitors with a short-term visitors stack pass can log in to any computer with the guest account issued to you at the Information Desk on the first floor
- Faculty, staff, and students from other universities can join the eduroam wireless network if your university subscribes
Special areas of the stacks
Robarts storage (B2)
- Old Class collection (except for selected Old class journals, which are in the blue section on the ninth floor, ranges 6-14)
- Old Class Oversize (except for selected Old Class journals, which are in the blue section on the ninth floor, range 14)
- Select call numbers marked as "STORAGE"
Request items from Robarts storage through the library catalogue or at the Loans Services Desk on the first floor. Only library staff have access to this area.
All Oversize LC class material is located on the ninth floor, on flat shelving in ranges 15-48 of the blue section. Some oversize Old Class journals are located on flat shelving in range 14 of the blue section.
Book "dummies" in the stacks identify items that have been moved to the oversize section.